Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Allergies

Liam's Rashy Face at Its Finest


Well, Liam had an appointment with an allergist today and got his back all scratched up. We found that he is very allergic to dogs (we were thinking about getting one but now that's off the list until he grows out of it-we hope!), as well as very allergic to peanuts and eggs (both of which he has never touched except through mama's milk). We were glad to hear that Liam is only very mildly allergic to the cat and so Owen still has a home! But, I have been forbidden to eat peanuts and eggs so I can't pass it on through my milk to our boy.

My first reaction, run and check the nearest chocolate bar and ice cream labels to see if they contain eggs. Good news! There is a rainbow in this little rain storm. In both of the products that I checked, neither had eggs! I may survive this. The possibility of no chocolate and no ice cream for three more months while being pregnant seriously had me thinking of putting the baby strictly to formula. But because Liam has also had reactions to milk and soy based formulas, the doctor said I need to start supplementing my ever dwindling milk supply with a special, hypoallergenic formula that she said "you have to sell your first child to pay for." So, that put me back to thinking maybe just cutting out eggs and peanuts, even if it had to be at the expense of no sweets for preggy, might still be the better option.

All in all, I'm glad for a few answers because I felt like we couldn't always figure out what was making him have rashes and feel junky. We have another appointment in about 10 days to see if this all helps.

5 comments:

jhoch said...

Poor boy. I hope all these diet changes help. Lets talk later this week...

Michael and Becky said...

Titus was allergic to soy and milk and many other things. At 10 months we tried all types of formulas (even the hypoallergenic ones), and none of them worked. Thanks to Teri Bade we found that enriched almond and rice milk had the same amount of calcium and other important minerals. The only thing that they lacked was the fat, so we gave him foods like avocados and olives to make up the difference. Hopefully this helps. :)

Kailyn Renae said...

welcome to my world, or at least what was my world (x3). it's no fun, i know. it's like a big puzzle trying to figure it all out. i'm sorry to hear about it. i didn't know he was having allergy issues.

V&S said...

Sooooo sorry for poor little Liam...AND YOU TWO trying to solve these difficult allergy issues. We will pray that Liam outgrows them and the new little one won't have these problems!

Keith and Courtney said...

Oh no! Being a dairy-free person myself (by force, not choice), I have to recommend coconut sorbet for the ice-cream-free folks. So creamy tasting! Helps knock the craving.

--Courtney