Sunday, February 17, 2008

One Bad Day

Today, started out bad and just went downhill from there. We were waking up this morning and Andy walked out to the kitchen. He quickly came back to get me because the aparment was flooded. There was standing water all over the tile floor and it had soaked into the carpet. Andy was trying to find the source of the leak and opened our front door, only to let a wave of water in. Source found. Our landlords were great and helped fix the problem as well as helped clean up. All in all, it wasn't too bad, nothing was ruined and it was just a few hours of cleaning. But then, we headed off to church...
The weather has been terrible in Rockford lately, today we had freezing rain. The Subaru was handling beautifully and we weren't slipping at all. We were almost to church when we saw a big, red minivan barreling toward us, crossing into our lane. We quickly saw that the lady was out of control and Andy, quick mover Andy, expertly avoided the collision by going the only place he could, the snowy ditch. The minivan plowed right through where we had been and also got stuck alongside us in the snow bank. Thankfully, a kind couple that goes to our church stopped to help and tried to tow us out with their truck. It wasn't working so we loaded Liam into their truck so we could get him inside at church. Andy and Patrick went back to try and get the car out of the ditch, but it was good and stuck. By that time, police had showed up and a de-icing truck was laying down salt. Andy spoke with the police officer and then decided to try and give the salt some time to work, so headed back to church before trying for the third time to tow our car out.
Andy and Patrick headed back to tow the car out after about an hour. They didn't have to worry about towing the car out because a new problem had arisen, the car wasn't there! It had been reported by the policeman as abandoned, go figure, and had promptly been towed.
Now, we are trying to get ahold of the tow company, but no, they are out busy towing everyone else's cars while the getting is good. Eventually, they called us back and Andy went to get the car. We got it back plus a little extra. Somehow a big dent magically appeared in the passenger side front fender. The towing company knew nothing about it but did know quite a bit about the bill.
We finally got home to find a burst pipe and water flowing in through a window, in the area of the apartment where the carpet had been dry previously. Our landlords promptly got it stopped. Liam was the only one crying at this time, but there was talk of joining him.
To top the day off, when I was holding Liam during lunch at church, I let him get too close to my soup, which he grabbed hold of, spilling all over me and a bit on him. This was after I locked the diaper bag in Andy's office (he was trying to retrieve the car) and had to change Liam. The church had a few extra diapers, newborn size, which I squeezed my size 2 child in. By the time we got home, newborn diddies just couldn't contain all of his fluid intake and there was just one more mess to clean up.
So, how was your Sunday?

9 comments:

Chunny and Me said...

You poor things! I feel so bad for you...I definitely would have been in tears myself after all of that - but then again, I'm pregnant, and these days it takes a lot less than that to make me cry! :)

Question - I've been getting garbage comments on my blog lately, from people I don't know and even suspect may be trying to send a virus??? Has that ever happened to you? Can you delete people's comments? Any ideas?

Lisa

Andrew, Arianna, Liam, and Asher said...

We did get one of those the other day too. I didn't know what to do with it. I'm pretty sure you can delete comments, but I'm not sure how.

jhoch said...

You have certainly had a challenging transition these past few weeks! It sounds like you're all handeling it quite well, though I imagine you've had your moments (as most anyone would given these cirsumstances). We love and miss you guys, a lot. Prayers for some 'less eventful' days ahead!

Eric 'n Leah said...

Wow.
I'm afraid to tell you that Eric and I were laughing while reading your entry. The entire thing seems so crazy....yet somehow it happened to your family...all in one day. I hope Monday is a wee bit better!

Eric 'n Leah said...

To delete comments:

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42398&query=delete%20comments&topic=&type=f

It'll tell you how.
:-)

Brianne said...

Well, it's official! God has amazing work for you to do there, or else there wouldn't be so much refining happening so quickly ;)

You are in our prayers!!

Alan, Marci, Maya and Madison said...

That is definitely one bad day! I hope that yesterday was better. You guys are amazing, sounds like you took it pretty good...all things considered!

Fun, fun starting Liam on rice cereal! Maya loves her "big girl" food. :)

Kate said...

Yikes! We will be praying for you even MORE now! (I guess you could have used that a few days ago, but starting now can't hurt!) ;) I hope your week is going better???

Katie said...

welcome to the midwest...where the ditches are deep and the towtruck drivers are like vultures....
I had an almost identical day once last year here in Minneapolis minus having a baby along.

It was good to find your blog. Liam's pretty cute.